Summer is almost here and it’s time to keep the kids occupied and not break the bank! Here are a few ideas:
- Explore Ontario Parks. There are so many amazing provincial parks that are only a short drive away – think day trip! You can get a summer pass for $125, which allows a car full of people into any provincial park for the entire season.
- Check out Attractions Ontario and save with coupons! My personal local favourite is the Elmvale Jungle Zoo.
- I can’t say enough about our local libraries! They offer summer reading programs, DVD/Blu-ray rentals, special events AND they’re air-conditioned!
- Local festivals and farmers markets offer opportunities to get out and explore local culture, food and attractions, often at low or no cost.
- Tourism Barrie has printable coupons, special offers and ideas of things to do in the Barrie area.
- Beaches and splash pads are a great, free way to cool off! Just be aware of parking fees at some locations.
- WagJag and Groupon often offer discounts on kid-friendly attractions. Canada’s Wonderland, Santa’s Village, Creative Cafe and summer camp options are just some of the deals I’ve seen lately.
- If it’s a rainy day that keeps you indoors, find materials around your house (cardboard boxes, empty egg cartons, paper towel tubes) to make crafts – take your child’s lead and be imaginative. Or go out and do some good, old-fashioned puddle jumping!
Here are some other websites that may be helpful in finding some ideas of things to do this summer:
All the best for a safe and happy summer!
~ Melanie Rumley, Communications Specialist
Simcoe County District School Board