By Melanie Rumley, Communications Assistant
Some sobering stats…
- Among Canadian women ages 12 and over, more than half (52.5%) are physically inactive; among Canadian men ages 12 and over, 46.5% are physically inactive (Public Health Agency of Canada, 2009).
- Obesity rates in Canada have tripled since 1985 and it’s expected that about 21% of Canadian adults will be obese by 2019, according to a study published in the Canadian Medical Association Journal.
- Nearly a quarter of all Canadians (23.5%) aged 15 and older reported most days were “extremely or quite a bit stressful,” according to a 2010 Statistics Canada report. Stress rates were highest for 35- to 54-year-olds.
Did you know there is a Health & Wellness program for all Simcoe County District School Board (SCDSB) employees? The program was created to:
- help employees in creating and maintaining balance
- promote healthy, active living
- effectively manage stress
The SCDSB has created this program to encourage and support both the mental and physical health of our employees across the board. Each school has up to two Wellness Champions. We currently have 162 Champions with representation from all employee groups. The program offers several options to help our employees live a healthier and active lifestyle: our Employee Assistance Program (EAP), fitness classes (for a fee paid by employee), wellness workshops, lunch and learns and other activities. Also, follow us on Twitter (@SCDSB_Wellness) for healthy and active living links, articles and tips.
Personally, I am on the Health & Wellness Project Team and am one of the Wellness Champions for the Education Centre. The program has inspired and encouraged myself (and my family!) to eat better and I have joined the cardio fitness classes offered twice a week at our location. As a result, I’m feeling better, more energized and less sedentary at work. I encourage all employees to find out who their school’s Wellness Champion is and what their location is offering for Health & Wellness activities. This is our chance to motivate and encourage each other to feel better and improve our physical and mental health, together! It’s also an opportunity to model healthy habits and lifestyles for our students – to encourage them to be more active and teach them how to eat foods that will enable them to learn.
A few new Health & Wellness initiatives to watch for in the coming months:
- After-school wellness workshops will take place this spring across Simcoe County at Lions Oval, Mountain View, W.H. Day, Midland Secondary School, Willow Landing & the Education Centre (Numbered Memo coming in early April with details)
- All SCDSB employees are invited to participate in the Walk So Kids Can Talk on May 4 in Barrie. Look for more information coming to your email inbox soon.
- Health and Wellness Fair on Thursday, May 22 at the Education Centre – all employees invited to attend!
- Healthy tips in the Clean Sweep newsletter that is sent to all custodial staff
- Monthly focus that includes healthy tips, recipes and articles sent out by your Wellness Champion
What can we do to help you live a healthier lifestyle? Comment below and let us know! We want to help you be healthier and happier at work AND at home!