By Melanie Rumley, Communications Assistant
Monday, Feb. 17 is Family Day. Take some time and celebrate with your spouse/partner, kids, parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles, etc. and enjoy all that Simcoe County has to offer! Or, stay in and enjoy time as a family.
Here are some inexpensive activity ideas you can do as a family in our local communities:
- Go tobogganing, skating, snowshoeing, build a snowman or go for a walk
- A visit to your local library (to read books, check out movies, play games and puzzles). Click here to find your local library.
- Join in The Great Backyard Bird Count, the first online citizen-science project to collect data on wild birds and to display results in near real-time.
- Check out special winter events throughout Ontario – check here to find an event near you. Penetanguishene’s Winterama, the oldest winter carnival in Ontario, is celebrating its 66th anniversary Feb. 14 to 17. Snowman Mania Wasaga Beach takes place this long weekend as well. Collingwood is offering a day full of free activities with the Collingwood February Family Jam. Click here for some south Simcoe events.
- Try ice fishing! Ontario Family Fishing Events is a province-wide opportunity for Canadian residents to fish Ontario waters without the otherwise mandatory fishing version outdoors card (February 15 to 17).
- Family Play Day at Wye Marsh in Midland – $30 for a family of four to enjoy a day of skiing, snowshoeing, animal shows, bird feeding, crafts and more.
- Visit the Tiffin Centre for Conservation on Feb. 17 for a day outdoors for adults and kids, including skating, crafts, snowshoeing and a scavenger hunt. Admission is $5 per person, children 5 and younger are free.
- The Simcoe County Museum is holding a Family Day event featuring a snowshoeing and tobogganing extravaganza. Regular Museum admission rates apply: Museum Members and preschoolers are free, adults $6, seniors/students $5, children $4.
If the weather keeps you indoors, here are some ideas to keep the family occupied: play board games, put together puzzles, read books, build with Lego blocks, play hide and seek, build forts, cook a special meal together…use your imagination!
At our house, we plan to do some tobogganing and visit the library on Saturday, swimming at our local rec centre on Sunday, and just relax as a family on Monday.
Comment below to share your plans for this winter long weekend.
Enjoy your Family Day!